Eureka Nature

For posting information about natural history events in and around Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Lake Leatherwood - cold and fewer birds

I had been away for a couple of weeks to the Gulf Coast, birding of course. I'll get a report up on the Bird Traveling blog. Got some pretty good pics, mostly waders. But I made it to Leatherwood yesterday. Apparently the long cold spell has taken its toll. Not a single Grebe. Buffleheads about average, Ring-necks way down, six Mallards, no teal. Only a single sparrow, but still many Juncos. Other residents seen in low numbers. A mature Eagle flew in and landed in a far side tree.
The best birds were six Golden-crowned Kinglets.

The good news? I think my Bluebirds at home are pairing up. Spring is coming. Persevere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home