Eureka Nature

For posting information about natural history events in and around Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Sunday - Very good migrants

On Sunday at Lake Leatherwood, I had ten species of warblers, as well as multiple empids. Good birds were Yellow Warblers, and a first year female Chestnut-sided Warbler, both species highlighted in the spring. The bird of the day though was a pair of astounding brilliant Male Hooded Warblers, The plumage looked brand new, markings were crisp and textbook perfect. There was an Ovenbird with them, one of several seen that day. Many Parulas, a single Blue-wing, and two Black-and-Whites.

The lake is getting overrun with vegetation, Asian Water Milfoil, and Water Lilies. It's getting hard to see critters in there, but I did find the first migrant ducks, about ten Blue-wing Teal, none males. On an inspiration, I played some rail calls, and got a Sora to call back. It's a species I've long thought should show up there, and I thought I'd heard one sometime before, but only once and not certain. It's a new species for the park list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home