Eureka Nature

For posting information about natural history events in and around Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Finally a Lake Leatherwood report

I've been out of town and missed doing my survey at Lake Leatherwood for three weeks. That's a gap just at the peak of fall migration. And just when I'm finally getting to know the fall warbler plumages. Last week, 10/1, I went with a visitor from Colorado, Paul Darby, and he was very pleased, not being familiar with the eastern birds. That sea of grass makes a big difference in the avifauna. My thrill was a Bay-breasted Warbler, a first for me for Lake Leatherwood and the state. His was a gorgeous Summer Tanager, perfect fresh brilliant post-molt, plus some other new critters. We also had a pair of fall Rose-breasted Grosbeaks. Some winter birds are arriving, including Yellow-rumped Warblers, Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, and Ruby-crowned Kinglets. Also Coots and PB Grebes. There were lots of Great Spangled Fritillaries, maybe my favorite butterfly, which also got Paul's attention.

Yesterday, 10/8, was surprisingly good for warblers, including Nashville, Pine, Prairie, a Black-throated Green, and many Yellow-rumps. Sapsuckers were also easy. I have a pair of Catbirds and a pair of Brown Thrashers in the path at the beginning of the Beacham Trail at the little meadow. Sightings from the bird blind are hard due to the amount of vegetaion, but there are small flocks of American Coots and Pied-bill Grebes, and a lone female Blue-wing Teal, who may be injured, though not obviously. Another FOS (first of season) was White-throated Sparrows. I may have had a Winter Wren, but it skulked off before I could be sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home